03 November 2011

The day I finished my project.


Friday

Julia rolled out of bed at 5:15 to catch the bus route.

Turns out when 3 girls have to sleep at JFBC because they missed the bus because they were too scared to get on the bus because the driver almost killed someone on the way to school, we have a problem.

So she rode the bus this morning to placate parents and ensure safety.

Being the sweet roommates we are, we had hot water waiting for her when she got home.

All was fine on the bus.

But we’re thinking maybe that’s just because Julia was there.

We’re having one of the teachers who rides the bus on the way home snitch on the driver this afternoon…

…………………………………………………………………….

Then we said goodbye to Jonas who is leaving for his very first plane ride as a 14 year old.  Baller.

If you’re going to fly out of an airport for the first time ever by yourself, Mwanza airport is a good one to fly from.  It’s tiny.

We sent him off with a card (Safari Njema Jonas!) and raisins and almonds and fruit snacks and a new pen and a plastic baggie.  Just in case.

He was TOO excited!!



[picture of Jonas with his bag in hand!]

…………………………………………………………………

Swahili lesson for the morning: 
Na Penda (thing) = like that thing, Na panda (person)= love that person.
Nina Penda= the correct version that people are too lazy to say.

………………………………………………………….

Made my day:

Stephanie and the preschoolers walking on a field trip.  I stopped typing (I had been going for 3 solid hours, I deserved a break!) and took a picture. Then Stephanie had them say, “Good morning Dr. Shannon” 

Yay!



[picture]

Even though I’m not a doctor.  They all know I’m a PA, but they prefer to still call me Dr. Shannon.  I tried.

…………………………………………………………………

Swahili lesson for the afternoon:
Sefara?= Zero.  It’s an important number, but no one includes it when they count to 10.
Paka cat
Mbwa dog
Nakupenda= I like you.

…………………………………………………………………..

1:15 pm: first project done.  After 1.5 months.  Now to finish the other one in 3 hours. (to be fair, I’ve already done all the calculations and the GATE worksheet, I just need to type it all up…)

And Go!

…………………………………………………………..

Stephanie’s bug project: left shirts out to dry overnight and collected a shirt full of ants, a handful of spiders, and a lizard just for good measure.  He was probably just trying to feast on the other bugs.

…………………………………………………………

As I describe the External Validity of my second paper for my Evidence Based Medicine Project, I hear Jackie (the Administrative Director of JFBC) and “Maggie-Bay” (that’s how his name is pronounced, I’ve got no idea how it’s actually spelt) laying the smack down on the nurse.  Too bad it was in Swahili.

Aparantly, in Swahili this morning (which is why Julia didn’t tell me earlier) she slandered the school’s name all over the school bus.  And Maggie-bay heard her since he was riding with Julia on the bus.

I wonder if she’s still going to spy on the bus driver for us??

………………………………………………………..

“Did the temperature just drop like 80 degrees?”

Maybe that means it’s about to rain? 

“Probably a good prognostic factor.”

Shoot.

Someone’s been working WAY too long on her Evidence Based Medicine project today…

……………………………………………………………

It actually does start raining a few minutes later, moving the Swahili Smackdown meeting inside our living room, forcing me to retreat to my bedroom to work on my project.

The only place to sit in my bedroom is on my bed.

Under my mosquito net.

To the sound of rain falling on the tin roof.

If I manage to finish my project without falling asleep then it’s by the good grace of God.  The temptation to sleep is almost too much to fight…

…………………………………………………………………

Dinner was a delicious assortment of chicken tacos.  I made tortillas again (I’m getting good at it, but this time Stephanie and I switched places ensuring that we could replicate the entire process at home!)

Then we had wine and chocolate for desert.  This trip has redeamed my feelings for Red boxed wine, I can finally look forward to drinking a glass!

Then Stephanie told us the story of “When Chris rolled over Stephanie’s foot.”

We almost couldn’t breathe we were laughing so hard!  Stephanie is not only talented at teaching children art, but also recalling and telling stories!

………………………………………………………..

So, what are the chances the library will let me access it from Tanzania.

Apparently, it’s a go.  Thank you Lord!!

Now if I could only remember my Ovid username and password…

No comments:

Post a Comment