21 May 2009

The Hokey Pokey (Monday and Tuesday)

That’s what life is all about.

It’s amazing how a group of kids I barely know, that can barely speak the same language as me, can bond over a simple song and dance: the Hokey Pokey.

Playing with some of the small children on Monday morning, I learned some truths: Life doesn’t have to be complicated. You won’t always know the person you’re standing next to (or working with, or serving, or healing) but by smiling and listening, you can speak volumes.

We started out just by holding hands and running in a circle. We laughed and ran around until I was exhausted!

Then I lead them in the Hokey Pokey. (Remember, in Africa, I can sing and dance… See Sunday’s Post) I think they knew it, because they danced along and laughed along with me.

Then we played “Duck, Duck, Goose!” Then Simon Says.

That morning Justin, Dale, and I met with Emelda and Gilda, the nurses here, about the health condition of some of the children. We came up with a game plan for treatment/ evaluation of the children that needed the most help.

On the list are: children who need their eyes and ears evaluated, children with HIV that need a check up at the hospital, children with BMI (Body Mass Index: a ratio of height and weight) that are SO LOW that they shouldn’t be alive, etc.

After lunch Monday, we tried to irrigate a little boy (Maybe 5 years old) named Ephesians’ Ears. He was terrified! He screamed and thrashed around and had a fit! We were trying to use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the wax out of his ears to see if that would alleviate some of his hearing problems. It was a challenge.

Then Justin and I took some of the older kids with us to “visit the internet.” (Walk down to the internet café to check email and post blogs.)

After we posted things, we went to see the Fundong Waterfall. We viewed it from a ledge. But then we got adventureous!!

There was a small, steep path down to the base of the waterfall. Justin and I had to fully cover up because there were plants that were poisonous to our skin.

Viewed from the base, with all the noise and spray, the waterfall was a majestic picture of God’s amazing strength!!

After dinner, Justin shared with us an observation. You can read it in his words in his blog post “Dirty Feet.” (www.lifeofawanderer.com). I’ll sum up what I got from it:

We, as missionaries are like a reflection of God. Justin and the team and I come from a far away place where it is very nice. The children are covered in dirt, they are poor, they don’t always make the best grades in school, and they don’t have much to offer. But we love them because they are precious children. We love them in spite of, and because of their imperfections.

It is sometimes hard to fathom how God can love me, such a dirty person with nothing to offer him, but after being here and seeing these kids, it is easier to understand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment